Aqara to Issue Firmware Update to Fix 1.6.1 Problems [UPDATE]

For anyone that is still having issues with their hub, due to the problematic 1.6.1 update from a couple of weeks ago, Aqara have now told us that they can issue an OTA update to your hub on a customer-by-customer basis. To do this, you will need the following info, and email it to support@aqara.com;

• Your Aqara Hub serial number, which can be found on the underside of the hub where the electrical pins are.
  • If you’re using the Apple Home app, you can find the serial number for the hub, by going into the settings for the hub light, or the hub alarm.
  • Your Mi Account ID. This can be found in the Mi Home app under Profiles, then click on the avatar or image for your profile and the Mi Account number can be seen under your name/profile.
  • If you’re using the Aqara app, then you just need to provide the email address you use for your Aqara account.

We’ve just been told by Aqara that they are planning to issue a firmware update to fix the issues that many people have been facing with their hubs and child devices after upgrading to 1.6.1 via the Aqara app for iOS, namely reduced ZigBee signal range and offline devices and slow response times.

It seems the 1.6.1 update that has caused these problems was only meant for beta testers but somehow managed to make its way to normal users, resulting in a series of problems, centred around the hub. The update that Aqara will be issuing, presumably via the Aqara app, will drop early next week, and will in actual fact be a downgrade to the previous stable build, which is 1.6.0.

some users online have been erroneously reporting that both 1.6.1 and 1.6.0 firmware updates were causing the aforementioned issues, but in actual fact, depending on the app you’re using or even viewing the firmware number on, this would in some cases appear as 1.6.0, when in actual fact, the problem-prone update has always been 1.6.1. This is backed up by the fact that 1.6.0 has been out for a while with no reported issues, up until the 1.6.1 update dropped.

As soon as we know more or have an exact date for the ‘downgrade’ we will update this page.

Eric Yao

HomeKit and general tech enthusiast, based in Shanghai, China

31 thoughts on “Aqara to Issue Firmware Update to Fix 1.6.1 Problems [UPDATE]

• 14th May 2019 at 1:43 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the article.
    About the « … and will in actual fact be a downgrade to the previous stable build, which is 1.6.1 »
    You probably made a small typo as reading the article the previous stable release was 1.6.0 and not 1.6.1 😉

Rgds

• 14th May 2019 at 1:44 pm

Thanks, I literally saw that two minutes before you commented, so it’s already fixed. Thanks for pointing it out just in case though.

• 14th May 2019 at 1:45 pm

Right. Aqara will release a firmware update to downgrade the firmware to stable firmware.

• 14th May 2019 at 1:57 pm

Aqara app itself clearly shows firmware 1.6.0
    Most of my Aqara child devices are “out of range”, my smart home is broken.
    Why on earth it takes so long to take old firmware, change its build number and release it as an update?
    They sure take their sweet time!
    And please.. fix your own hardware / software errors, that cause it to report different firmware numbers, that is just sad.. if true.

• 14th May 2019 at 2:01 pm

We are told that despite this number, the firmware update that has broken things has all along been 1.6.1. This may have been a fault with their servers that attempted to discourage people from downloading the problematic update, or equally possibly, it’s due to the numbers for firmware updates not always matching due to this update being only for beta testers. Either way, 1.6.1 has always been the issue in this case.

Aqara have to take responsibility for this and I do agree it’s a bit of a disaster for many people. I’ve been through a similar situation previously, so I totally sympathise.

• 14th May 2019 at 9:24 pm

The 1.6.1 firmware updates the ZigBee SDK to 3.0. So it costs problems connect to older Zigbee devices. Aqara is going to fix this with 1.6.2 firmware. (Basically it is a quick fix to downgrade your hub to v1.6.0.)

• 14th May 2019 at 10:13 pm

This is interesting!
        Good news – its Zigbee 3.0 !!
        Bad news: So all of my brand new and latest Aqara sensors and switches suddenly are “older devices”? Gloomy future?

• 14th May 2019 at 10:17 pm

At least it works.

• Pingback:Aqara jobbar på att fixa firmwareproblem i 1.6.1 | Teknikveckan | om internet, prylar, det mobila livet och samhället i stort.

• 14th May 2019 at 5:45 pm

My both Aqara hubs downgraded to 1.6.0 but range issue is still present.

• 14th May 2019 at 7:44 pm

it’s not a downgrade, just the hub shows 1.6.0 firmware as the last available now, and yes range issue is still present

• 14th May 2019 at 8:42 pm

Ok, you said ‘Downgrade’ in your original comment, which is the reason I mentioned it in the first place. If you’re having issues, I can almost guarantee, regardless of what it says, the issue is the 1.6.1 update.

• 14th May 2019 at 9:27 pm

Oh. The aqara hub runs two different OS when you connect to different platform. v1.6.1 if you connect the hub to Aqara home app. V1.6.0 if you connect to MiHome app.

• 15th May 2019 at 3:11 am

Aqara has a nice designed products with the worst software/firmware. I lost 2 aqara hub because the firmware 1.4.7 They never answered me about that. In any place I see something related to aqara I blame them. I will not buy anything else from this crap company.

• 15th May 2019 at 12:45 pm

Please do tell more! What happened with firmware 1.4.7 ?

• 15th May 2019 at 12:49 pm

There’s small chance that when users try to hold the reset button for 10s. And the hub reset the whole OS.

• 24th May 2019 at 1:09 am

I did everything possible to restore to a normal state. After several mails and tweets they answered me telling that my hubs are damaged. They will not honor any kind of warranty and said that they are not responsible. I’m not the only one. After a web investigation I realize that a lot of users had the same problem.

• 17th May 2019 at 3:51 pm

Aqara support say fix will be released next monday…

• 20th May 2019 at 2:22 pm

Aqara update 1.5.1 released today ,but nothing changed for me. Same issue, most devices out of range. Aqara Hub firmware still 1.6.1.

• 21st May 2019 at 2:02 am

Yes, no firmware-downgrade online. 🙁

• Pingback:Aqara to Issue Firmware Update to Fix 1.6.1 Problems [UPDATE] - HomeKit News & Reviews - Smart Home Informer

• 21st May 2019 at 12:42 pm

they downgraded me to 1.5.9 but all problems still there.

aqara need to get their shit together, this is NOT acceptable!

• 21st May 2019 at 6:12 pm

Aqara turn useless 2 of my hubs because the 1.4.7 firmware. 2!!!!!!!! of them. I lost almost 80 dollars in a fancy product with several firmware problems. In this opportunity they did it again.
    We buy aqara products becuase are cheaper that turn to expensive for that reason.
    I hate aqara!!!!!

• 21st May 2019 at 11:38 pm

Yesterday, after a complaint message, the Aqara support contact to me.

They sent me a mail to conduct the update for me to fix the firmware 1.6.0/1.6.1 problem.

After that, they solve the problem. Now my two Aqara hubs working fine.

• 23rd May 2019 at 1:14 am

Aqara support also helped me to fix firmware 1,6,0/1.6.1 issues remotely. Now everything works as usual. 18 devices are connected again. All 3 app where Aqara devices are used namely Aqara Home,MiHome, Apple HomeKit work fine.

• 31st May 2019 at 10:29 pm

How long did you waited for reaction?