M-Elec Introduce ‘Stitchy’ HomeKit Range

Australian-based M-Elec have been around since 2006, and have been supplying products like dimmable downlights, light strips and other lighting products since this time, culminating in a Good Design Award in 2015. Now the company are moving into the Smart Home realm with their ‘Stitchy’ line of products.

This lineup initially centres around their Stitchy Switch; a relay controller, that sits inside the recess behind your wall switches to give regular light switches smart functionality. As with many smart home devices these days, it promises compatibility with the big three providers – Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit.

In addition to the ‘stitchy’ relay, the company are working on a dimmer version, in addition to one-channel and five-channel strip controllers.

What’s interesting about all of these products is that they use ZigBee for their method of communication but unlike companies like Aqara, for example, don’t provide their own hub, instead relying on the Philips Hue Bridge as the central hub. In fact, the company even offer starter packs that include a couple of relays in addition to the Hue Bridge, with a Hue motion sensor, also added in the B and C starter packs.

This, in essence, would make them akin to ‘Friends of Hue’ products, although the company don’t describe them as such. The company also point out that there’s no accompanying app required for their products, which would probably indicate the Hue app is the preferred initial app for control, which would then expose them to HomeKit thereafter.

The company are also working on more interesting products, including a neutral-free version of their module, a fan controller, plate dimmer, in addition to garage and blind controllers. You can check out the video below to learn about more of these forthcoming devices

For more info, go to melec.com.au

Credit to Tim Kelly from the Apple HomeKit Users Group on Facebook for finding this.

Simon

Editor - Musician, graphic designer and HomeKit aficionado.

6 thoughts on “M-Elec Introduce ‘Stitchy’ HomeKit Range

• 29th October 2019 at 6:22 pm

I’d be interested in this, but am in Europe. Wonder if it’ll become available here.

• 30th October 2019 at 3:53 am

If it’s Zigbee then the wireless frequency will be a global standard meaning it will be compatible with Europe (and the US). Australia also uses the same voltage levels as Europe. Therefore from a technical point of view it will be compatible with Europe.

It seems that even though Stitchy are Australian they have wisely designed their products to support US and EU/AUS voltages. What a shame so many US companies are not as enlightened.

This therefore looks like it might be the holy grail I have been seeking in terms of smart lighting.

Whilst there are plenty of wired smart lighting solutions in the US even with HomeKit support led by the excellent Lutron Caseta there is very, very little in Europe and what little there is usually has big flaws. Lutron stubbornly refuse to do a version for Europe. 🙁

My current hope had been Insteon micro modules with the new – yet to ship Hub which would re-introduce HomeKit support. Unfortunately there are some disturbing indications that the new hub may only be released in the US.

If these Stitchy products do indeed show up in HomeKit via the Philips Hue hub then they could be a solution to my quest. I do see however that they don’t support momentary wired switches (yet) so it is not clear how they are able to support wired switches properly. All the other micro module type solutions like Z-Wave e.g. Fibaro & Aeotec and proprietary like Insteon use momentary switches.

(It is possible to connect generic Zigbee products to the Philips Hue but these do not get exposed to HomeKit, only approved products show up to HomeKit, I believe all ‘Friends of Hue’ products fall in to this category.)

Please can someone test one of these as soon as possible.

• 30th October 2019 at 4:22 pm

Good points. Hope they get it certified for use in Europe and find resellers here soon! I’d be replacing Fibaro Homekit in-wall units, that use Bluetooth. They’re slow to respond and sometimes miss command entirely, whereas my Hue lamps always switch immediately.

• 1st November 2019 at 1:46 am

Are there any concerns that Hue might decide some players aren’t ‘friends of hue’ in the future—disabling functionality? Has it happened to any other manufacturer?

• 14th November 2019 at 1:20 am

I wonder if the Stitchy ‘Dim’ could be used in a 3-way switch application to give you automated control over a bunch of “dumb led lights controlled by a bunch of 3 way switches. For example I have a long windy hallway that has 3 times 3-way switched and at least 8 lights. I have ahue hub in my home. Could I add a Stitchy ‘Dim’ into the existing setup to give me access to automated functions? For example could I add one Stitchy ‘Dim’ to give me the ability to add a homekit motion activated automation?

• 19th November 2019 at 5:51 am

This is exactly what I would like to do !
      Anyway, if these eventually ship to EU…