Earlier in the Summer, Ikea announced, amongst other products, a new air purifier that looks set to shake up not only the air purifier sector but the equivalent smart home sector as well, with low prices for both the device itself and the replaceable filters. However, the HomeKit community always needs to know that something is going to be compatible with their favourite platform before committing, and at last, it seems that HomeKit compatibility has been confirmed via two separate sources.
The first of these two sources is Ikea themselves, via their Swedish website (amongst others we imagine), which has the product listed and available for purchase for SEK1495.00 (roughly equivalent to UK£126.00, €147.00, or U$172.00). It also reveals in the detailed specs that it is indeed compatible with Apple HomeKit, as well as Amazon Alexa, although Google is not mentioned.
The second source comes from a German YouTube channel that (we assume) is putting the new Ikea product through its paces, whilst also revealing it being exposed to the presenter’s HomeKit setup. It doesn’t appear to be done so unofficially either, as the Ikea Home Smart app is listed within the settings section.
If you’re not aware of the new Ikea Starkvind, it comes in two separate formats, and in two finishes. Here are some specs;
- Can be connected to IKEA Home smart app
- Capacity 20m2 (215 ft2)
- x5 Manual speeds
- Auto mode with built-in air sensor that controls fan speed CADR*: 260m3/h in speed 5 with particle filter (240m3/h in speed 5 with particle and gas filters)
- Particle filter for dust, pollen and airborne allergen removal (PM2.5) (included)
- Gas filter for gas, fume and odour removal (optional – purchased separately)
- Noise level: 24-53dB
- Power supply and cable management
- Power consumption: 2W-33W
- Filter check indication
- Child lock function
- Side table model: Available in light or dark stained wood veneer, legs in solid wood
- Floor model: Available in black and white version
Regardless of whether the price is competitive enough, it’s good to see more devices coming to HomeKit.
Thanks to Mariusz and Adam for the heads up.