The long anticipated HomeKit compatible Aqara hub, has now been listed on amazon.com, although at the time of writing, it is currently listed as ‘temporarily out of stock’. This is for the US version of the hub, but a European version is slated for release for around October. If you haven’t been paying attention, this will be the first device from the Xiaomi ecosystem to come with HomeKit compatibility, and as such, will allow other Aqara branded smart devices to connect to HomeKit via the aforementioned hub.
While the current price of US$60.99 is around average (or only slightly higher) for some hubs, this is around double the price of currently available Xioami or Mijia branded hubs. This, in large part, must be connected to the expense of having a HomeKit-certified device, although it will be interesting to see the pricing on other stores, most notably AliExpress, who have a history of selling very cheaply.
Other information currently gleaned from the listing includes the following;
- NOTE: Requires a secured 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network connection, Range: 2~6M, plus the free Apple Home app for iPhone (iOS 10.3 or later).
- Smart Home Control Center, Connect up to 32 Aqara accessories (sold separately), control accessories automatically and make your home smart. Aqara accessories include Smart Plug, Wireless Mini Switch, Motion Sensor, Door and Window Sensor, Water Leak Sensor, Temperature and Humidity Sensor.
- Remote Control, Control the Aqara Hub anywhere via Home app. Free Home app (available on the App Store). To control this HomeKit-enabled accessory, iOS 10.3 or later is recommended. Controlling this HomeKit-enabled accessory automatically and away from home requires an Apple TV with tvOS 10.2 or later or an iPad with iOS 10.3 or later set up as a home hub.
- You can use Apple Home app to control the Hub and its connected accessories. Aqara accessories can communicate with other HomeKit-enabled accessories (compatible brand: Philips Hue, Honeywell, Lutron and so on) to provide you a smarter home.
- 2-year warranty; 24/7 Live Chat on our website aqara.com; Email Support: firstname.lastname@example.org
Along with the new hub, Amazon have listings for most of the Aqara branded smart home devices that will work with the Aqara hub, including the Smart plug, Motion sensor and door/window sensor, all of which are already available in other online stores.
While the question over whether these devices are as good, in terms of build quality, as already established equivalent products by the likes of Eve, Koogeek and Fibaro etc. it would seem that with these prices easily undercutting its competitors significantly – even via domestic stores like Amazon – these could be bestsellers in no time for newcomers to the HomeKit world who prefer a smaller budget.