Buddy Technologies (the company behind LiFX) has just unveiled its newest smart light that will be released to Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and Europe after successfully passing efficacy and safety testing.
It’s called the LiFX Clean and it is exactly as it sounds; It is the “world’s first disinfecting anti-bacterial smart light” that is capable of disinfecting surfaces and surrounding air. LIFX has said that this new light will “launch an entirely new category of smart lighting”. Not only can the light illuminate a selected area or room of the house, but can also abolish harmful bacteria.
The LiFX Clean will be an extension of the design of the current LiFX A19/A60 bulbs, thus offering a white and colour light that can be controlled with the LIFX app, as well as smart home assistants like Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and more importantly… Apple HomeKit.
In a letter addressed to the Australian Share Market, the following points were made about the LIFX Clean:
- LiFX Clean is a fully functional white + colour smart light that also uses germicidal antibacterial light to disinfect surfaces and surrounding air
- In a smart lighting world-first, by using 405 nanometre High Energy Visible (HEV) light that is safe for humans, pets and plants, LiFX Clean offers an effortless way to maximise the cleanliness of home environments
- LiFX Clean has passed efficacy testing in laboratory testing conducted by the Department of Chemistry and Biotechnology at Australia’s Swinburne University of Technology, as well as IEC and safety testing at UL Verification Services in Guangzhou
- Whilst LIFX Clean is currently in the testing queue for efficacy against the SARS-CoV-2 virus (which can cause the COVID-19 disease), no claim is currently being made that the product is effective in an antiviral capacity of any kind, including on SARS-CoV-2
- Priced at A$99.99 / US$69.99 / CA$79.99 / €69.99 / £59.99, LIFX Clean is an affordable and accessible new anti-bacterial product, providing broad access to consumers in a time of enormous demand for cleaning products. It is expected to be released to the market in calendar Q4.
Cost and Launch
The LiFX Clean will be sold as a standalone bulb and will be priced at $99.99 AUD and will be sold initially in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and Europe. Further safety tests are required for the US and Canada due to different regulatory requirements. So whilst the LiFX Clean won’t be sold at launch in North America, it will be coming soon.
The LiFX Clean will be launched via pre-sales on Lifx.com and is expected to be available at retail locations in the fourth quarter of 2020.