Firmware Update to Aqara Hub Released [updated]

• Update: We’ve since been informed that the update was pushed in error, and has been withdrawn from release for a later date. The firmware update was apparently issued by the Mi Home team without the knowledge of Aqara, so this would explain why the update didn’t appear in the Aqara app as well.

The anticipated 1.5.0 Firmware update for the Aqara Hub has been released today, up from version 1.4.7. As we previously reported, this update bring HomeKit compatibility to the following devices, as well as a few bug fixes and improved stability;

• Mi Smart Plug (Zigbee version)
  • Mi smart Smoke Detector
  • Mi Smart Natural Gas Detector
  • Aqara Wall Outlet

It would seem from reports so far, that it’s not universally available yet, so you may have to wait for your region to show the available update. It would also appear at first glance that the update is not available via the Aqara app, but that may well change.

Having already update our Hubs here, once complete in the Mi Home there seems to be no change, although on checking the Apple Home app, my Mijia/Honeywell Smoke detector automatically appears. As with all sensors added via Mi Home that work with Homekit, they’re added to the default room in Home, so you have to assign them to the correct room, however, the smoke detector does indeed appear, as does our US and Taiwan Smart plugs. The Gas Detector is on order, so once that’s added to Mi Home we fully expect that to appear in Home as well.

NOTE: One final point to note if you do want to upgrade; it seems that the best way for implement the firmware update it’s best to go into the Mi Home app, then Profile > Settings > Check for firmware updates. You can update via the settings in the hub itself, but we found it stalled when trying to apply the update with this method.

Simon T Bramley

Editor - Musician, graphic designer and HomeKit aficionado, living in Taipei, Taiwan.

69 thoughts on “Firmware Update to Aqara Hub Released [updated]

• 10th January 2019 at 2:01 pm

Is the update available via the Mi Home app or via Aqara Home too? Via Aqara Home shows 1.4.7 current

• 10th January 2019 at 2:05 pm

It seems it’s only via Mi Home currently, and also it seems it’s being rolled out in regions.

• 10th January 2019 at 2:02 pm

Do you still need to update via the Aqara app or can you now update from Mi Home?

• 10th January 2019 at 2:47 pm

Can’t see any updates neither in hub settings nor in app settings (Mi Home). Server is mainland China.
    Any ideas?

• 10th January 2019 at 2:48 pm

Two other people in the EU have also reported this. I think it will show up later.

• 10th January 2019 at 8:05 pm

Server is mainland China.
    No update 1,5

• 10th January 2019 at 8:09 pm

They seem to have pulled the update. If you read the updated info at the top of the post I’ve explained the possible reason why.

• 10th January 2019 at 9:51 pm

Bold or color the update font color next time, I didn’t see that too ;x

Just my 2cents, and thanks for doing all these posts.

• 10th January 2019 at 9:50 pm

Hey Simon, I update mine as soon as I see the email notification for this post lol I wouldn’t bother to check it if I don’t see your post.

And it took less than 20seconds to download it this time… remember how much I suffer for 1.4.7 last week… -.-;;;

The more often they have an update which means they are really trying to make it great!

• 10th January 2019 at 9:54 pm

Yup, and I can still access the camera.

As an IT support, we hate to do firmware or any kind of update! LOL

• 10th January 2019 at 10:22 pm

The Xiaomi 1080p camera, the one that work with 2.4/5G Wifi.

It is very good, I like it, because it can store the video from the SD card to my NAS, but the time limit is just 3 months.

The next camera I wanna try at home is Arlo Ultra, 4k is finally here…

• 10th January 2019 at 10:24 pm

There are so many Xiaomi related cameras, and even some that look very similar, that it’s hard to keep up with everything. I hope you have deep pockets – the Arlo Ultra is expensive!

• 10th January 2019 at 10:30 pm

Yea, they have tons, this is the one they are selling official on amazon.com but they took it offline… when I wanna order for few more… not going with Yi, it is very good and affordable but I can’t do any automation with my smart home sensors.

As for Ultra, think about it, we have seem tons of 1080p home camera, its great for indoor, but when you are trying to put it outdoor… it can’t cover much because it has a much bigger area… 4k should able to solve this issue.

I just need 2-3 MAX, I will stick with Xiaomi for the rest of the area that I want to monitor.

• 11th January 2019 at 11:05 pm

Bad news… since the update, my homekit.app no longer able to talk to those Aqara sensors…

• 10th January 2019 at 11:00 pm

stuck at 1.4.5 here 🙁

• 10th January 2019 at 11:23 pm

Super et Merci pour l’info!
    La mise à jour était dispo pour moi également résident en France.

J’ai 2 questions :

1: La caméra Aqara ou une autre apparaît dans l’a Maison (Apple).

2: Je souhaiterai ajouté un deuxième Hub Aqara à mon installation pour une meilleure alarme sonore. Mais je suis obligé de passé par l’application Aqara pour la mettre à jour et migrer vers Mi Home.

Serait-il possible que vous fassiez un sujet dessus, car je crains de perdre la connexion de mon premier Hub Aqara déjà installé dans Mi Home.

• 11th January 2019 at 12:37 am

J’ai pas compris pour le 1, tu recherches une cam xioami compatible homekit ?

• 11th January 2019 at 9:33 pm

I still do not have a new update of 1.5.
    I tried in the described ways but there is nothing

• 12th January 2019 at 5:08 pm

My hub aqara has been unpaired from HomeKit. It does not allow to pair it again (with the hub QR) because it says that the device is already added. What should I do to paired it again? Thank you.

• 12th January 2019 at 10:48 pm

The hub was paired again with Homekit by unplugging and re-plugging.

• 13th January 2019 at 12:45 am

Hi guys! A question for the Aqara owners: how loud is the speaker? Do you think it could act as an alarm siren or not?

• 15th January 2019 at 9:54 am

It’s pretty loud. I think, loud enough to at least stop someone in their tracks, even if only for a short time. As an alarm, loud enough I would say, as a siren – depends on what you mean by siren i guess.

• 16th January 2019 at 1:33 am

If someone opens the window from outside, I’d like him to hear the alarm just to let him know my house has an anti thief system with cameras and so on. If they realize that, I’m pretty sure they would just run away. Do you think the alarm could be heard outside the house? PS: I don’t need to alert my neighbors… also because I don’t have any, so a siren would be useless!

• 16th January 2019 at 8:40 am

It just depends on how loud you have the alarm set for, but it can send out quite a lot of sound.

• 15th January 2019 at 9:02 pm

Can we set the development mode in this version? Until now I cant do it.
    And with the gateway 2 is is abailable, so i hope do it with aqara homekit version.

• 16th January 2019 at 2:53 pm

Just updated to the new version. Seems it has been officially released now.

• 16th January 2019 at 4:11 pm

1.5.0 update is available once again

• 16th January 2019 at 7:03 pm

Hi all,
    I’ve just recevided my new Aqara Hub. Everything ok when adding it in Mi home app, but i have some problems with firmware update: installed version is 1.4.2 and the app says the new version is 1.5.0. When I try to update (both using settings in my home o directly tapping in the Hub) I cas see the software downloading, but it fails installation process. Any ideas?

• 16th January 2019 at 7:12 pm

It depends on how you try to update. If you go into Profile > Settings > check for firmware updates, this seems to work when updating this way. If you try to update from the settings in the hub, it seems to fail.

• 16th January 2019 at 7:23 pm

Thank you Simon.
        I tried both, it fails in both way…

• 16th January 2019 at 7:59 pm

The only other thing to try is rebooting your phone to clear out any cached info that could be causing an issue, and also unplug and plug in your hub.

• 16th January 2019 at 7:27 pm

JUHUUUU

Update is available once again 1,5

• 16th January 2019 at 7:28 pm

JUHUUUU
    Update is available once again 1,5

• 16th January 2019 at 7:38 pm

The icons of Xiaomi Mi Mijia ZigBee Smart Socket in Apple Homekit appeared

I am in the app Apple homekit connected products of Ikea led bulbs, Xiaomi Mijia and Aqara products and all the sensors and lights and switches and the rest work fantastic, fast and safe.
    Sensors Xiaomi and Aqara sensors work with Ikea bulbs.
    This is a great way to have a smart home for less money

• 16th January 2019 at 7:57 pm

Great! So the Ikea bulbs are going through HomeKit or Mi Home? Ikea have a plan to work with Mi Home soon.

• 16th January 2019 at 8:22 pm

Ikea bulbs are going through HomeKit autamatically via the Ikea gateway.

• 17th January 2019 at 1:47 am

Something went wrong during the update, so now I can see TWO hubs, one 1.4.7 (if added through Aqara app), and second is 1.5.0 (if added through mi app, but it appears in Homekit and nothing in mi app)
    WTF???

• 17th January 2019 at 6:07 am

Do you guys update the hub through Aqara app?
    Cause I don’t see 1.5.0 update for some reason.. Tried unplugging the hub already.

Aqara HomeKit hub, SW ver. 1.4.7, region is set to Mainland China.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

• 17th January 2019 at 6:10 pm

Check for firmware via Mi Home app.

• 17th January 2019 at 7:20 pm

Mainland China region?

• 17th January 2019 at 7:22 pm

región China continental?

• 17th January 2019 at 8:04 pm

So I tried with the Mi Home app, it indeed showed 1.5.0 available, but update itself failed (I started it from the app settings, not the accessory). Now the hub looks bricked: it just glows constantly and does not react on 10 sec button press or 10 rapid button clicks 🙁
    I tried disabling 5 GHz, 8.8.8.8 DNS address, and almost everything I was able to find on the net, but with no luck.

Do I have to buy a new hub? This is pretty ridiculous, because it worked perfectly on 1.4.7

• 17th January 2019 at 8:14 pm

I wouldn’t think it’s bricked, but it does sound odd, but it’s hard know what you may or may not have done differently that resulted in this. Have you tried unplugging the hub and plugging it back in again? Sometimes the simplest of things can help. It’s also worth noting that the 10 presses don’t have to be ‘rapid’ just ‘timely’ and consistent, so it may be worth trying to reset the hub again, but slower possibly. Sometimes it also pays to wait for it to go through a few things before it shows signs of being reset.

• 17th January 2019 at 9:09 pm

Yes, I tried unplugging, tried different sockets, tried to be as closer to the wi-fi router as possible (~1-1.5 m). No luck.
        I believe resetting the device should not be affected by anything like wi-fi setup or whatever. So what bothers me is that I don’t see any feedback from the hub: I tried rapid clicks, I tried slower ones, and it’s hard to go wrong with a long press, but hub just stays the same color (almost white blue) and does not have any color or sound feedback.

Wrote an email to Aqara support, let’s see what they will answer.

P.S. Thanks for the advices anyway!

• 19th January 2019 at 4:22 pm

Hi Dizzy, I had same problem but with 1.4.7 firmware, after I tried to changed between the fu**ing Aqara App (blue icon) and Aqara app (yellow icon and supposed that apple watch was working on it) to best option (in iOS) Mi home app that’s greatest with full features on alarm system, sensors, plugs, etc.
          Same problem with white led blinking after unplugged, and reset.
          Clicking button 10 times faster stills permitt resetting Hub, yellow blinks starts, I run all procedures but it’s not connect with network and timed out problem appear. Another negative detail is that no more feedback voice prompt chinese sounds, and I believe this is fundamental to pair with wifi..
          Just curious, If I press 3 times not rapid, it change to pairing mode to add accesories with purple light blinking and yes, chinese voice prompt sounds.. but I don’t see it in any app.

I just buy another hub, and nevered add to Aqara app (blue or yellow icon), and now all works perfect with Mi home.
          But I stil have a Hub like paperweight waiting for new firmware maybe came alive again.
          About Aqara support, they are disappear from earth.. never replied a message.

• 17th January 2019 at 10:28 pm

Hi, I have a question, what is the advantage using Mi Home instead Aqara App. I recently bought an Aqara Hub and I started to spread my HomeKit network, first with Koogeek devices, and now with Aqara. Please someone tell me pros and cons. Are both apps fully compatible each other?
    PS. I love your site, greetings from Barcelona

• 17th January 2019 at 10:42 pm

Hi Pablo,
      There are only a few minor benefits at first impression, mostly with additional data for your sensors that the Aqara app doesn’t provide. The Mi Home app is generally more stable, having been around longer. If the Aqara app works for you, and you’re up to date with it all, then you don’t really need to move over to the Mi Home app.

• 18th January 2019 at 7:15 pm

Thanks for your reply Simon
        At the moment Aqara app is working ok, but regarding this thread, I do not see the new update to 1.5.0 firmware. My fear is if I start working with the Mi Home app could make some mess with my network, devices o something like that.
        Other doubt I have is I am thinking about buying the gas and smoke sensors from Xiaomi / Honeywell.

• 18th January 2019 at 7:45 pm

Pablo si quieres actualizar a 1.5.0 necesitas hacerlo con Mi Home.

• 18th January 2019 at 8:37 pm

I think the 1.5.0 update may only be available via Mi Home, so the choice is yours ultimately. Without updating to 1.5.0, you won’t be able to add the smoke and gas sensors either.

• 19th January 2019 at 4:35 pm

Te recomiendo no pasar a Mi Home si ya lo instalaste en Aqara app.
          Mi Hub se corrompió o no entiendo que le sucedió pero terminé comprando otro Hub porque quedó inservible.
          Con el nuevo Hub lo instalé de cero con Mi Home app, que funciona mucho mejor y tiene mayores prestaciones.
          Igualmente tienen diferencias, en diseño de interface gráfica y user experience, es mejor Aqara app (icono azul) porque tambien existe una app igual pero icono amarillo que no sirve de nada, y creo que fue lo que jodió del todo mi Hub. En la Aqara app (icono amarillo que comenté anteriormente) te da opción a poder syncronizar tu apple watch según muestra la interface, pero debes conectarte al servidor de China y necesitas un numero telefónico chino para que te activen la cuenta o una cuenta WeChat.
          Por otro lado la Aqara app de icono azul como decía, tiene mejor apariencia gráfica, pero te deja fuera con poder agregar o que aparezcan en HomeKit sensores o plugs.
          La mejor opción que creo existe hasta ahora, es Mi Home. Puedes agregar sensores de todo tipo, plugs de todo tipo, utilizar el Hub o plugs con radio (china), dependiendo la versión, y puedes obtener funcionalidad del sistema de alarmas mucho mejor.
          El único problema, es que (al menos en mi caso) no puedo captar para que aparezcan en la Home app de apple y su HomeKit la mayoría de los accesorios. Otro detalle que no he probado al 100%, es que al estar conectado a servidores de China Mainland, al crear una automatización que tenga que ver con ubicación, me aparecen ciudades chinas como Pekín, etc.. y eso seguramente lo liga a la banda horaria de esa zona, por lo cual queda obsoleta..
          Espero te sirvan mis experiencias, que de paso vienen bien poder transmitirlas en español, porque en ingles se me dificulta un poco.. saludos

• 20th January 2019 at 1:48 am

Gracias por tus comentarios Valo. Tendré presente el tema de usar Mi Home.
            PS. I feel bad for the other english speakers, maybe they could use a translator.

• 19th January 2019 at 4:40 pm

Sobre el firmware 1.5.0 lo acabo de instalar (en Mi Home app, porque aun no existe para la Aqara app) y ahora me detecta sensor de humo en la Home app de Apple a través de HomeKit.

• 20th January 2019 at 1:53 am

This is one of the points I feel worry about, I want to stay with Aqara app but I want to buy the gas and smoke sensors, I hope Aqara will release soon this update.
            The other thing I want is to be exposed to Home app any device possible, my house is an Apple hourse and my wife is also using iPhone.

• 18th January 2019 at 8:02 pm

Just installed the Mi Smoke Alarm.I thought all of them would go off when one of them detects smoke. Only the Hub + specific Smoke Alarm goes off. Anyone know how to change this behavior? HomeKit Alerts+Automatations work like a charm. Also i did not find a way to disable/clear the Alarm via App?

• 19th January 2019 at 7:18 am

I see the update, but it never goes to the end :/ still il 1.4.7

• 19th January 2019 at 4:44 pm

I have aqara motion sensor . Work fine with homekit. Does Mi Motion sensors work with homekit too (aqara geteway) ?

• 19th January 2019 at 5:03 pm

The Mi Motion sensors, door sensors and temperature/humidity sensors all get exposed to HomeKit via the Aqara gateway. The smoke detector and gas detector are also exposed if you update the firmware to v1.5.0.

• 19th January 2019 at 10:19 pm

Update is now on Air. Kills all the HomeKit.

• 20th January 2019 at 4:52 am

After upgrading to 1.5 the Aqara Motion sensors in HomeKit are much slower “undetecting” movement. I have automations that turn on lights after movement is detected and turn them off after 2 minutes. Now if I enter a room briefly after the light went off the motion automation isn’t triggered and the light doesn’t turn on.

Anyone else has this problem?