Aqara Hub and Mi Home – Troubleshooting Tips [updated – Dec. 5th)

With the recent updates to the Aqara and Mi Home apps, along with the latest firmware update to the Aqara Hub, many users have been successfully able to move their Hub and (most of) their accessories from the Aqara app to the Mi Home app, giving access to more settings, automations and data than is currently possible with the Aqara app. Sadly, many users (including myself) have also experienced issues, ranging from the simple, to the seemingly near catastrophic. Although there doesn’t seem to be any helpful documentation from either Xiaomi or Aqara regarding a lot of the new changes that these updates have brought, there are a few things we can make you aware of that will hopefully help fix a range of problems, or at least help you get your hub working again.

Aqara app or Mi Home app?
First of all, you can only have the Hub in either the Aqara app or the Mi Home app, not both. What will happen though, is that if you add the Aqara Hub to the Mi Home app, as soon as you then open the Aqara app again, a pop up panel will show which will try to get you to ‘bind’ the Hub to HomeKit, which actually just takes the Hub back out of Mi Home and into the Aqara app again. This also happens with the Mi Home app in much the same way if you’ve got your Hub set up in the Aqara app. Seeing as ultimately the Mi Home app is the superior option in most instances, my advice is to use the Mi Home app, as it makes the alarm functionality a lot easier than the Aqara app. Just make sure that if you ever do open the Aqara app, ignore the ‘bind accessory’ pop up window.

Adding the Hub to Mi Home
if you’re having trouble with actually adding your Hub to the Mi Home app, here are a few things you can try, although we can’t guarantee this will solve everyone’s issues;

1. make sure you wi-fi network name (SSID) doesn’t have any non-standard characters, like commas or apostrophes etc.
  2. ensure that you have a 2.4gHz wifi network available. If you’re using an Apple Airport Express or Extreme, these have two networks – 2.4 & 5.0gHz, but they usually work together under one name, which can cause the Aqara hub to not connect, so you need to separate them out into two networks, via the ‘Airport Utility’ on mac. If you’re using other routers, then you should refer to their particular documentation regarding this.
  3. You may also find it useful to temporarily change the DNS settings on either your Router, iPhone/ipad or both, to 8.8.8.8. This has made a difference in my case every time, and once it’s over, you can change the DNS settings back to automatic.
  4. make sure your Hub is well within range of the wi-fi network signal, as the Hub doesn’t have a great wi-fi reach.
  5. before you try adding the Hub, press the button on the Hub itself 10 times, in rapid succession. This will totally reset the Hub and clear any old data that could create conflicts. Eventually the light ring will turn white and then start flashing yellow constantly, followed by a Chinese voice prompt (this can be changed later).
  6. start adding the Hub to the Mi Home app, ensuring that you are registered with Mi Home and have an account, are signed in, and it’s set to the Mainland China server.
  7. when you add the Hub at the point of scanning the HomeKit code, you may want to try this way;
  8. instead of scanning the code, click on where it says “don’t have a code or can’t scan?”
  9. on the next page, where it says Manual code, press ‘Enter code…’ and enter your HomeKit code
  10. once you do that, the hub should appear as a device, although you may want to wait for a bit for it to appear. It’s also possible that other devices may show up.
  11. from there, everything else is as normal and eventually you should see the section where it will add the light, the alarm and the Hub part to the HomeKit system.
  12. it will say there is more setting up to be done. This usually involves going back into the Mi Home app.
  13. in the Mi Home app, across the top, above the device tiles, there are a list of rooms. Scroll horizontally until you see a ‘HomeKit’ tab
  14. click on this and you should see your Hub. Click on it and it will go through a sort of pairing process, to complete the procedure. Any devices that were tied to the hub will probably no longer be in either the Mi Home app or Apple’s Home app, so you will need to re-add them. There are two methods of adding new devices in the Mi Home app, which I have listed at the end of this article.
  15. devices in specific rooms in the Mi Home don’t sync with the Home app, so if you want them to be the same, you’re going to have to do it manually.

From there, it’s just a case of setting devices and automations up.

Installing devices via the Aqara Hub once in the Mi Home app
The process of adding devices to the Mi Home app is fairly straightforward, and there are a couple of ways to do this. Bear in mind that not all devices that can possibly be added to the Mi Home app actually need a Hub to work, so for these types of devices (usually wi-fi or Bluetooth based), you’re more than likely not going to see them get exposed to HomeKit for the time being, as they’re not going through the Aqara Hub, which is essentially the gateway to HomeKit. Here are the two methods;

Method #1

1. Click on the ‘+’ symbol in the top right of the home screen.
  2. Select your device from the list of devices present – they’re broken down into types; cameras, lighting, sensors and so on.
  3. if the device you are adding requires a hub, then your hub should come up as an option. If like me you also have a Mijia hub, this should also appear in the list, but considering we’re looking to add HomeKit compatible devices wherever possible, make sure you choose the Aqara hub.
  4. From there, simply follow the on-screen instructions for your particular device, and that should be everything.

Method #2

1. click on the tile for your Aqara hub on the home screen
  2. a page with three tabs will then appear at the top – Gateway | Auto | Device
  3. select ‘Device’ then click on the ‘+’ symbol at the bottom of this page to add a child device
  4. from there, you will see a table of products that you can add to the Aqara Hub, including ‘Other devices’
  5. Select your device and follow the on-screen instructions as mentioned before

Method #2 is probably better, as it only lists the devices that require the Aqara hub, so you know where you stand, but if you want to add a device regardless of whether it uses the hub or not, then method #1 is probably better.

All of the above are based solely on my personal experiences so far and while I’ve done my best to document every instance where there’s been a issue or a resolution to the issue, I can’t guarantee you won’t experience other problems that I haven’t touched on here.

Simon T Bramley

Editor - Musician, graphic designer and HomeKit aficionado, living in Taipei, Taiwan.

44 thoughts on “Aqara Hub and Mi Home – Troubleshooting Tips [updated – Dec. 5th)

• 1st December 2018 at 7:06 pm

If I add child device by using the Mi Home app then it will not appear in the Home app. Do you have any idea to fix that?

• 1st December 2018 at 7:08 pm

Which device are you adding? Some devices are still not HomeKit compatible. You also need to ensure that when you add. A child device, it is added via the Aqara Hub. If that isn’t an option, then it means that it doesn’t require the hub to function (like the Xiaomi Air Purifier for example) and therefore is not exposed to HomeKit.

• 1st December 2018 at 7:38 pm

Well. I added a Mi zigbee smart plug. It worked perfect with previous firmware, I coud control it with Home app and Aqara app. With the new firmware updated, there were issues with the aqara app, so I did a hard reset on the hub. But I can’t add the plug with Aqara app anymore, the hub says “device connected”, but the counter on the app just running down. I tried the Mi Home app, and I coud add the plug but now it does not appear in Home app. Now, I can have automation and control with Mi Home app but can not use it with Siri. Any ideas about get it work with Homekit?

• 1st December 2018 at 7:43 pm

Ok, I don’t actually have the Chinese versions of the Mi smart plug, only an unreleased version of the US Aqara Smart Plug, but so far everyone I know who has the smart plugs has reported that they appear in the Mi Home, but not the HomeKit app. I don’t know why this is, but I’m sure it’s a bug that will be fixed. A colleague wrote the following just now – “Aqara removed support for MI plug, you can’t even add it in Aqara Home app. You can add it in MI Home but it dosen’t show in homekit as it did before. I have only MI plug. You need to check Aqara plug because there is a plug option when adding things in Aqara Home app”

• 2nd December 2018 at 5:10 pm

I have the same problem. After the last firmware, the Zigbee smart plug from Mijia doesn’t appear at HomeKit. No difference using Aqara app or mi home.
          Hope they fix with the next firmware update.

• 3rd December 2018 at 8:13 pm

Same problem here. No longer have the Zigbee Smart Mi Plug in Homekit. These would be the cheapest HomeKit plugs so hopefully it’s fixed soon.

• 2nd December 2018 at 6:16 am

Hi, Ruskie here –

Decided to give it one more try per your instructions.

I first purged everything in the Aqara app while logged out, then logged back in, removed all phantom devices, removed the hub, logged out and killed the app. So I started out completely blank so there are no conflicts, and reset the hub by doing the 10-click.

Steps 8 and 9 I could only add “light” and “security system” if I tapped on the Yellow Home icon in Add device – you have to wait for it to appear. If I pressed on the immediately visible green triangle with dots it would just get stuck “adding device” forever.

Then the two devices (light, security system) were added to the Home app, but there’s nothing under the Homekit tab in the Mi app. The hub is simply not there. Trying to add any devices (which I know worked with the Aqara app) brings up a message saying you need the mijia hub. So it worked all the way to step 13.

I’ll just way until for a few hours see if anything changes.

• 3rd December 2018 at 5:01 am

Now the question is will firmware updated will go ok with Aqara Hub under Xiaomi Mi Home app?

Thats the yes/no question 🙂

• 7th December 2018 at 10:36 am

Hey! Thanks for this step-by-step for adding the Aquaria Hub, I’ve followed your instructions and got much further than I did on my own.

TL;DR – added light feature to Apple Home app, during setup process indicated that the hub “section” in the Apple Home app needed to be updated in the Aqara Home app, device can’t be detected there.

The longer version:

Here’s my question: following your instructions, I was able to add the Hub using the Aqara Home app. It found the hub, added it. (it detected the light and the hub, it didn’t see the alarm yet, it needs a firmware update).

Here’s my situation: I’ve added the light & can currently see it in Apple’s Home app, but almost IMMEDIATELY upon adding it the light/hub is consistently being described as “Accessory offline” in the Aqara Home app (and, as a result of this, am unable to perform firmware updates). Additionally, while I am seeing the light feature in the Apple Home app, I am not seeing the hub feature there (the hub and light appear as two separate items in Apple’s Home app), which is making me think that’s why I am unable to perform updates.

I’ve removed the accessory from the Apple & Aqara Home app several times, each time getting the prompt that the “hub” section of the device in the Apple App needed to be configured in the Aqara app, but the the app says that it is offline.

Since I’d split my network into the 2.5 & 5 GHz bands, and since several other HomeKit devices were not responding, I thought that putting them back together may allow it to be detected. I kept the simple wifi name, and no change, still not detected in the Aqara App.

Clearly, I know that you are not Aqara tech support, but your walk-through has been better than any of the support I’ve gotten from Aqara. Sorry if this is a rambling message, but I’ve been fighting this device for over a week now and am SO CLOSE!

Any suggestions to get the device recognized by the Aqara app and update the firmware?

Christian

• 7th December 2018 at 11:06 am

Hi Christian
      ok, so if I delve straight into the issue of your hub appearing offline, in my experience this is usually down to two things; either the hub is too far from the wi-fi network it’s connected to (but I’m sure you’ve covered that already), or more likely, it’s down to an incomplete setup procedure.

You can have the hub in the Aqara app or the Mi home app, but if you’re in the Aqara app and you go to the settings for the Hub, there’s a section that says ‘Support Mi Home app’ and then ‘Yes’. If you have in any way selected the hub to be sent to the Mi Home app, it will then pair with that app, but seemingly nothing has happened, except that all your devices and the hub should disappear from the Aqara app. All those devices will still appear in the Apple Home app, but to complete the process, you need to go into the Mi Home app for one final setup section.

Im saying all this on the assumption you did this, as this has happened before to me. Let me know.

• 8th December 2018 at 2:47 am

Hey Simon!

And thank you for the tip, I will begin working on this process in a day or two and will report back.

And thank you so much for assisting all of us.

Christian

• 9th December 2018 at 2:27 pm

Alright, update.

When I go to settings> Support Mi Home app, it says No.

If I touch “No” to change it, an X appears with some text below it and it stays at No.

At this point, do you know of any way to either:

1.) force this push to the Mi Home app

2.) continue the hub setup in the Aqara app?

Also, is this something I should try & set up in the Mi Home app initially (and avoid the Aqara app completely)?

Christian

• 9th December 2018 at 2:30 pm

why Firmware version have you got on the hub? And what’s the version of the Aqara app? If it’s 1.4.7 for the hub, you should be able to just add it to the Mi Home app, although it’s likely you’ll have to reset the hub, although I can’t be certain.

• 9th December 2018 at 2:30 pm

In addendum:

I notice that, at the top of the Aqara app it refers to my house simply as “My Home”, and not as the name given to my home in HomeKit.

It may be irrelevant, but that looks odd.

• 9th December 2018 at 2:31 pm

Check to see if the app is v1.4.5 and also double check that you’re actually signed into the Mainland China server, as when it’s updated from the previous version it signs you out.

• 9th December 2018 at 3:33 pm

Simon, you got it. All set up in the Home App.

Thanks so much for the help going down this rather confusing path.

Christian

• 9th December 2018 at 3:59 pm

Hi Simon, I hope you can help me.

I have tried to add the Aqara Hub as a device and have gone through the steps as mentioned on your site.

Everything seems to go well but the hub does NOT appear as a device in the app. As a result, I can not add any other devices.

In the home kit app the Aqara Hub is visible and I can turn the lamp on / off.

According to the manual “it will say there is more setting up to be done.” This usually involves going back into the Mi Home app.
    in the Mi Home app, over the top, above the device tiles, there are a list of rooms. Scroll horizontally until you see a ‘HomeKit’ tab.

Do I have to go to the Mi Home app after completing the process? I do not see any “HomeKit tab” at all.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance!

Wim

• 9th December 2018 at 4:33 pm

No, its empty: https://imgur.com/j8zJUmE

In the Aqara Home app its working fine.

FYI: The Firmware version Hub 1.2.26. I’m trying to update it with the Aqara app but it seems nothing happens :-(.

• 9th December 2018 at 4:35 pm

Ok, so until you update the firmware there’s no way to add it to the Mi Home app. What version of the Aqara app are you running?

• 9th December 2018 at 4:36 pm

You can also only update the hub if you’re signed into the Aqara app and have Mainland China as server region.

• 9th December 2018 at 4:40 pm

Version 1.4.5.

I’m signed into the Aqara app and selected the Mainland China.

• 9th December 2018 at 4:43 pm

Everything is as it should be, so I don’t understand why you don’t have a firmware update available. Does it say there’s an update available? Are you using anything like a VPN that could be causing an issue? I can’t think of any other reason why you aren’t able to update.

• 9th December 2018 at 5:15 pm

I uninstalled and installed the Aqara Home app.

But now i’m not able to login.

There’s only Mainland China available?

• 9th December 2018 at 5:17 pm

Yes, they’ve removed the other regions for the time being. It sounds as though the easiest option is to set up a new account, set to Mainland China, then check for firmware updates.

• 9th December 2018 at 5:23 pm

Where do I set up a new account? In the app?

• 9th December 2018 at 5:25 pm

Yes, if you go into the app it’ll say ‘sign in’, but if you swipe across, there’s an option to ‘sign up’ too.

• 9th December 2018 at 5:58 pm

It works!

Thank you very much for all the help and patience.

It is nice to see that people are willing to help other people.

Thanks again!

• 9th December 2018 at 6:18 pm

I’ve been able to update the firmware and that was the key to solve my problems (adding the Aqara Hub and sensors to Mi Home.

• 9th December 2018 at 6:20 pm

Good luck. If you need any more
      Help, ask away and I’ll try and assistance, but hopefully it’ll all be ok.

• 10th December 2018 at 2:18 am

Is anybody know when it will be possible to activate local network protocol on it?

• 10th December 2018 at 4:37 am

Here is how it worked with me:
    Did a full reset(10 clicks)
    Used the aqara app to do the upgrades until the hub was “forgotten”
    Installed it to the mi home app according to the steps
    Added the sensors one by one in the mi home app.

Note that the full reset also returns the original firmware which is only compatible with the aqara app. So remember always to upgrade with the aqara app.

• 10th December 2018 at 8:02 am

Another question, Simon.

Preface: everything is working well.

The alarm system appears to be able to be turned on/off. How would one activate the alarm? For example, if the alarm is on, how would one trigger it? I assume I’m looking at creating an automation within the Home app, but I’ve still not found out how to configure it.

Can’t thank you enough for helping everyone,

Christian

• 10th December 2018 at 8:40 am

Hi Christian
      To create and activate an alarm, you have to first create an automation in the Mi Home app, and use a Mijia or Aqara sensors to trigger that alarm, so the Apple Home app is just acting as an arm/disarm function at this point, so presently you can’t use the Home app or other HomeKit sensors to trigger an alarm. I’ll be doing a post today hopefully that shows you how to do it, which should be straightforward, although I’ve not set one up in the Mi Home app yet.

• 13th December 2018 at 10:56 pm

Hi simon.
    Have you update mi home app? After i update mi home app i cannot add another (secondary) aqara hub. I can add to homekit but i didnt see it in mi home app. Also after add secondary aqara hub my ki home app always crash. Any suggestion for that?

• 13th December 2018 at 11:09 pm

Hi Ivan
      I have got one of my Aqara hubs running in the Mi Home app, but my second Hub is still connected to the Aqara app at the moment, so I’ve not experienced this yet. I will be adding the 2nd Aqar Hub it to the Mi Home tomorrow though, so I’ll let you know if I find any problems and solutions.

• 13th December 2018 at 11:57 pm

Ok simon. Just Now i deleted all devices is connected to my first aqara hub. Because after i add second hub to them it appeared offline. Now i start from begining to install hub to mihome. Hope you will get any solution for that. If mi home cannot connect to secondary hub, mybe i just add another mijia hub.

• 14th December 2018 at 9:27 am

Does anyone had any luck so far exposing the Mi SmartPlug (Zigbee Version) to Apple HomeKit? I have 2 different versions of the Plug, one is Branded “Mi” and the other one is branded with the Mi “Logo”. All 6 of them I own, are working within the Aqara App but none of them are exposed to the Apple Home App.

• 14th December 2018 at 9:31 am

Since the last updates Aqara have temporarily removed HomeKit compatibility due to them not being officially HomeKit certified. They’re working to fix it.

• 14th December 2018 at 8:48 pm

Hi simon Any update from you regarding add secondary aqara hub ?

• 14th December 2018 at 8:51 pm

Hi Ivan
      It’s all very strange, as I went into the Aqara app today, having noticed that the Hub that is connected to the app, wasn’t responding. I went into the settings and it now says that it’s not able to connect to Mi Home app. Every time I go into the Mi Home app and click on the HomeKit tab, the Mi Home app crashes. So, I’m going to try and reset the hub to see if it will be recognised by the Mi Home app, and just avoid the Aqara app totally.