Robin Telecom, the first company (and still the only one so far) to bring a HomeKit compatible video doorbell to the market, have today announced that their ProLine Doorbell, along with the Robin ProLine Compact, are both now compatible with Apple’s own HomeKit Secure Video (HSV) functions. You will need to update your video doorbell within the Robin app, to version 1.6.0 for this to work. This means you get the following functionality with the doorbell, just as you would any HSV video camera;
- Capture the important events in and around your home. Apple TV, HomePod, or iPad running as a home hub intelligently determines when a person, animal, or vehicle is in the video recorded by your ProLine Video Doorbell before securely storing it in iCloud.
- Notifications: receive rich notifications on your iPhone or iPad and play video clips right from the Lock screen when activity is recorded. You can also share your Home app with others so they can view video recordings too.
- Privacy: choose when your ProLine Video Doorbell can stream and record video using HomeKit. In the Apple Home app, set the ProLine to automatically stream and record activity when you and others are away and turn off when you’re at home.
- Security: video streamed from your ProLine and iCloud is end-to-end encrypted to your devices, so only you and the people you share your Apple Home app with can view it.
- iCloud: A 10-day recording history from your ProLine is securely stored in iCloud and available to view in the Apple Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. You can add one camera to your 200GB plan or up to five cameras to your 2TB plan at no additional cost. Camera recordings don’t count against your iCloud storage limit.
In order to take advantage of HSV, you do need at least a 200GB iCloud plan in order to support one camera, or in this case the video doorbell, with a 2TB plan able to support up to five cameras.
The company have also updated their app with the following features;
- Motion Detection can be used to trigger HomeKit Secure Video to determine when a person, animal, or vehicle is in the video recorded before securely storing it in iCloud. And it can also be used to trigger automations, for example, switch on a light at your front door if motion is detected.
- Built-in relay: The ProLine is provided with a built-in dry relay that can be used to connect to your existing chime. The new firmware allows you to enable / disable this relay, and duration of the ringing event is now configurable via the Robin app.
- Video brightness: is now configurable via the Robin app
- Support for dark-mode (iOS 13)